Sunday, February 24, 2013

Why is there Darjeeling in the white tea?


So for my first blog post, I wanted to start off with something simple. And frankly, whats more simple then a review right? So while pondering what to review as I sipped my evening tea, I have the flash genius!

I would review my tea!

For those of you not familiar with me, I'm referenced as a “Tea Snob”. I grew up on tea, not on soda (thanks to my wonderful mother) and have been drinking it by nature as long as I can remember back.

The tea in question: Tazo's “Cucumber White” White tea

All together now: Ooooooooooooooo......Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

I purchased this tea on a whim at my local Outpost foods. I am a fan of white tea, and oddly enough cucumber in my beverages (odd, I know). While I normally don't go for pre-bagged tea, I wanted some simple bagged tea for quick enjoyment and this one spoke to me (and it's from Portland, OR, so that was a plus), so into my basket and home with me it came.

I made a cup that night following the “proper” way to brew tea. The box called for boiling water and a 3 min steep, but having spent my fair share of time slinging tea for a living, I kept my water at 175 degrees and only steeped it for 2 min. After pulling the tea bag, I noticed the color of the tea was oddly darker then most whites, but decided to roll with it. The flavoring was mainly cucumber with an after hint of lime. For me, this was a winner as I love both these things. However, I still was detecting something...off for a white tea. So I flipped over the box and double checked the ingredients. I was shocked to find out it wasn't just white tea I was drinking.

White tea, Lime Peel, Dandelion leaves, Black Darjeeling Tea, Cuc....wait...back it up...

...I felt a bit betrayed to be honest with you. I drink white tea for, amongst other things, the lack of caffeine content. So I was a bit miffed there was Darjeeling Black in my white tea. This would, however, explain the color and flavor. I was so butt hurt over this I didn't drink a cup for about a week or so after making this discovery. I slowly came around though and have now been using it on a steady basis. It is a good tea, though I won't drink it before bed.  The taste is light, so a little sugar could be added for those who need to extra sweetness in their tea. I enjoyed it as is. I am debating making it iced next :)


Taste: 4/5
Cost: 4/5
Would I recommend: Yes. For a boxed tea, the taste is good, and the cost isn't horrible. I will take my loose leaf tea any day of the week, but for a simple bagged tea, this fits the bill wonderfully.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just picked up Tazo's Chai spiced tea. It said cardimum and cinnamon on the front and I didn't think to flip and read the back, but there's also black pepper in it. As I'm not a pepper fan it now has me worried. I really don't want to be drinking a tea and getting that harsh pepper flavor. I'll let you know how it is once I get the courage to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is to peppery, try cutting it with milk. It will block most of the health benefits from the tea itself, but any herbal benefits you would still get. A touch of sugar and you'll be set. If it's to much at first, remember to take baby steps. You;ll find that once you get used to something, your pallet can change completely. I'm currently on that journey with spicy foods.

      Delete